Skip to main content
Top Tier Training & Development Inc. | Seattle, WA
 

This website uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience.
You can learn more by clicking here.

Have you ever considered what it costs your small business when you make a bad hiring decision?   Most companies never consider the cost of a bad hire in terms of business disruption, opportunity cost, and lower morale.  Most small business owners wing the interview and hire people based on their gut feeling.  Prior to owning my Sandler Tranining company, I rose to the rank of Vice President of Sales for a large corporation.  Of the first eight hires, only one had become a great producer.  Not a very good track record.  Following are a few of the lessons I learned along the way:

  1. Make the hiring process a system.
  2. You have to know what you are looking for before you get started so develop a thorough position description that includes the skills, experience, attitudes, and habits that the candidate must have.  Hire to fit the job, not the other way around.
  3. Write a good job advertisement.  The job ad should describe the person so that people reading the ad will recognize themselves.
  4. Do not “blue sky” the job.  Tell it like it is.
  5. Prepare for the interview.  Read the resume and have a list of questions you plan to ask.
  6. Use phone screening first to save time.  Have a list of questions that will pre-qualify your candidates and also look for red flags.
  7. Use hiring profile assessments.  If you are spending a lot of time with interviewing then this will help you get your time back.  When I started using assessments before conducting the first in person interview instead in interview 20 candidates for a position, I interviewed 4.
  8. Hire people with 70% of what it takes, and let them Grow the other 30%.
  9. Goal of the first interview is to disqualify the applicant.  On the 1st interview cover the 90 day onboarding program and what it takes to get fired.
  10. On the 2nd interview, get the entire list of questions first.  These questions will include the candidates education and work history for all jobs held no matter how much experience they have.
  11. Watch body language.  If the candidate begins to look away when answering a question, puts their hand over their mouth, scratches their neck above the collar, this may mean that they are being less than truthful with their answers.
  12. Use a debrief checklist in between interviews.
  13. If possible, check references over coffee (past employers & customers).

By developing a systematic process for hiring, I spent 60% less time in recruiting and interviewing candidates and achieved a 85% success rate for hiring great lasting employees.  Click here to request information on how Sandler Training can help you develop a systematic hiring process that gets results.

 

Copyright 1983-2012 Sandler Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Tags: 
Share this article: