Skip to main content
Top Tier Training & Development Inc. | Seattle, WA
 

This website uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience.
You can learn more by clicking here.

Presenting too many features and benefits all at once can confuse, frustrate and even bore the prospect. Putting yourself in a situation where you've sold it and then bought it back does nothing but put you in a box. 

Let’s pretend you run a conference room that sees a lot of people every week and you need an upgrade. 


The walls need to welcome people into the room, the chairs need to invite people to sit down, the décor needs to make people feel relaxed without putting them to sleep…and all of these new colors and fixtures have to live together in harmony. You call Keith Miller at Miller Interior Design for help in transforming your space. The problem areas in your building truly lie in the conference space alone. So happens that Keith has also designed high-end kitchens and bathrooms. Your room doesn’t even have a kitchen. Do you really want to sit through Keith’s presentation about how many kitchens he has improved and how happy his clients were, how beautiful the space turned out? Regardless of how talented Keith is with kitchens, kitchens don’t have anything to do with you or your problems right now. Keith first seeks to understand you, what you’re unhappy with about your space and even what your outdated carpet is costing you in terms of repeat business.

If the client is desperate for walls and chairs, spend A LOT of time on walls and chairs and zero time on sinks and countertops. This sounds intuitive, obvious even. How come when it’s crunch time and you’re actually in front of your prospects, you default to talking mostly about yourself or your product/service? If you must mention the sinks, try a negative-led question.

Salesperson: “You probably don’t have a need for upgrades in the kitchen department, do you? Sinks and cabinets and countertops?”

Prospect: “Nope. Just the conference room.”

Salesperson: “Yea, didn’t think you would.”

And then move on!

At Sandler Training, we believe the buyer/seller ratio should be 70/30 - where the buyer speaks about their challenges and their problems for 70 percent of the time. The seller can then spends the rest of their 30 percent of the time actively listening in order to figuring out the solutions and the next steps. Often times, we're programmed to tell (inform/educate) rather then to sell. If you tell too much you just might run into the box of - You sold it and bought it back!

Copyright 1983-2011 Sandler Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Share this article: